Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Getting a Deal on a Dodge

Challenger

A: I don't know of any cash-back offers or other incentives on the Challenger, but I think you could shave $2,000 to $3,000 off the sticker price if you negotiate assertively. You may have to contact a number of dealers before you find the price you want, but it could be time well-spent. Dealers want to sell cars, and in today's difficult economy, they know that fewer people are willing to pay full price.

I think the Challenger R/T is worth the extra time and effort. I road-tested one last winter and found it delightful to drive.

Q: My wife and I drive a 2005 Porsche Cayenne with 67,000 miles. Although it has had numerous mechanical problems from the start and is costly to repair, we love the drive and feel of the car. We have begun looking for a new sport-utility vehicle or station wagon that would give us a similar German-like drive. What would you recommend?

—Jerry Lerman, New York

A: The Volkswagen Touareg is one option worth considering -- after all, it was developed in tandem with the Cayenne. The two cars share certain parts and also some driving characteristics. That said, the vehicle that comes closest to matching the Porsche's combination of sporty handling and speed is probably the BMW X5.

Q: I am enjoying a new Ford Focus and, after driving a six-year-old Honda Civic, remembering how solid a new car can feel. To keep this feel, should I look at periodic replacement of the struts and/or shocks? In the dozen cars I've had, most of them driven 100,000 miles, I've never replaced shocks ever and struts only when they've leaked.

—Mark Maisonneuve, Eastpointe, Mich.

A: The condition of shock absorbers and struts largely determines a vehicle's ride quality, and they are among the most neglected parts on many cars. Their performance degrades as time and miles accumulate, but they often aren't replaced until they are leaking or broken. Checking them regularly and changing them before they completely lose their effectiveness will help keep maintain your Ford's new-car feel.

Q: I want to get a fun car to drive (as an extra car not driven a lot), and am thinking of a two-door and maybe a convertible. My son suggests an Aston Martin. I have sat in one but never driven one, but thought it was fairly uncomfortable. I am willing to go used or new and spend about $100,000. I would also like something that holds its value as I suspect I will sell the car in a couple of years. At my age, I think my BMW X5 will stay my permanent vehicle, as it's easy to get in and out.

—Cliff Thomson, Dallas

A: How about a Porsche? The Aston Martin is fast and beautiful, but you'd have to find a used one to stay within your budget. That seems ridiculous to me because for $100,000, you could buy a new Porsche Carrera and have plenty left over for buying gas. If you are more adventurous, I'd add a vintage 12-cylinder Ferrari like a 250 GTE or 330 GT 2+2 to the list, along with a decade-old Ferrari 550 Maranello.

Printed in The Wall Street Journal, page D8

Click

No comments:

Post a Comment