Friday, July 10, 2009

Jay Is For Jaguar

blog post photo
He of the genetically-modified jaw and bountiful barnet was at Saatchi n Saatchi's swanksome new gallery at London's Sloane Square last night.

As the 'big cheese' guest of the night and a big car fanatic, he was full of praise for Jaguar's new baby, the XJ, and full of his legendary wit.

The struggling carmaker is pinning its hopes on the new model for a return to the good times.

When I asked what he had been up to during his week long visit to London, he said he had visited McLaren, Jaguar and even spent time at Goodwood and had great things to say about his impression of the UK car industry.

"I went to Goodwood - that was great fun. I've been visiting some of the various English manufacturers: Jaguar, Aston Martin, McLaren. I must say I'm astounded how environmentally friendly all these new English factories are.

"I think there's a new age of car manufacturing coming into Great Britain. I think it's fascinating."

Such positive talk from one of the greatest talkers in TV history couldn't come at a better time for the UK automotive industry.

Leno also told me how he tries to offset his carbon footprint at home with all manner of gadgets such as solar panels and says we all need to be "responsible citizens".

Jaguar spared no expense on the launch. Booking the gallery for a whole week, the endless wine, delicious (albeit tiny) canapes, beautiful hostesses ... for a company said to be leaking £1m a month, this was no credit crunch bash.

But then Leno says that it's in times of recession that great innovations come to the fore.

"What did they do in the Great Depression? They came out with the V16 Cadillac; they came out with cars with brilliant colours

"When times are bad you need things to cheer people up."

Aside from JL, other schmoozers necking the free bubbly included Elle 'blimey is that the body of a 40 year old (if slightly orange)' Macpherson, who provided the eye candy for the promo shots.

Fashion designer Matthew Williamson was also there, as was Sir Trevor McDonald to add his own special brand of statesman-like gravitas to the soiree. (Is it just me or is he shrinking? Although the white hair is wonderful.)

I'm not massively into cars, but the new XJ beast was definitely shiny and big and I wouldn't say no.

Spandau Ballet's Tony Hadley told me he already has two Jags in his garage but might be persuaded to pocket a third with the new XJ.

Although he did develop something of a nervous twitch when I told him the threatened ticket price: "Eighty grand? Crikey!".

My thoughts exactly - I'll have two!



Click

No comments:

Post a Comment