Friday, June 26, 2009

British Cruise-in at The Pub

Updated 2:37 PM Friday, June 26, 2009

Matilda Jamison was bitten by the British car bug while still in high school. Apparently there is no vaccine or known cure.

“My parents bought a 1959 Triumph TR3A in England, and had it shipped over here. I started driving it in high school and I’m still driving it,” Jamison said.

Jameson joined about 75 other British car and motorcycle enthusiasts to celebrate British Car Week behind The Pub at The Greene on the first Sunday in June.

“We wanted to do something to call attention to our friends with British cars, and of course, to our business, which is an authentic British pub,” explained Nathan Griffiths, show organizer and marketing manager for The Pub. “Nothing gets folks’ attention like a bunch of cool cars parked together,” he added. “They’re icons — the Jaguar, Mini, Aston-Martin, MG, Morgan, Triumph, Austin-Healey, and we’ve got them all here except for an Aston (Martin).”

Griffiths was right about attracting a crowd, as folks from the shopping center wandered through the parking area looking over the machines and talking with their owners.

“I found a story about British Car Week and I suggested this cruise-in to our corporate office. Well, they liked the idea so much that they put me in charge of organizing them at all of our eight Pubs. This has turned out great, so I’m sure we’re going to be doing it again next year,” Griffiths said.

Jamison was more than happy to tell the story of her 50-year relationship with the TR3A.

“I drove it through high school and college, and after I started working I realized it wasn’t a great daily driver, so I put it in storage,” she said. “My ex-husband said that I’d get rid of him before I got rid of the Triumph and it turned out, he was right!

Jamison added, “I finally decided in 2004 that I needed to get it out and start driving it again, but after almost 40 years of sitting, well, you can imagine, it needed a lot of work. It hasn’t been totally restored. This is still the original paint, but it’s been gone over. I finally got it on the road in early 2008 and I’m having a ball. It’s my baby,” she said.

“I do think this baby will stay in the family. My son doesn’t have much interest, but my grandson does, so he’ll probably end up with it,” Jamison said.



Click

No comments:

Post a Comment